Everyone approaches Valentine’s Day differently. As long as couples aren’t (nonconsensually) hurting each other or anyone else, no one should be shamed for whatever form their romantic celebration takes.
Here’s an out-there idea — in more ways than one — for cinephiles: Spend a night or two in the same Western Pennsylvania house where Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) had her climactic confrontation with serial killer Buffalo Bill (Ted Levine) in the 1991 horror classic “The Silence of the Lambs.”
Last year, Buffalo Bill’s House in Perryopolis officially reopened for tours and overnight stays. The 2,400-square-foot house and 2 acres of surrounding property have been tricked out in “Silence” Easter eggs ranging from a life-sized Hannibal Lecter statue to a basement “workshop of horrors” to a recently installed replica well complete with a basket, lotion and a hose.
If any of that got your romantic juices flowing, you’re in luck! Buffalo Bill’s House is offering a special Valentine’s Day package from Feb. 10-19 for couples looking for a different kind of vacation, platonic groups of horror enthusiasts and everyone in between.
“Buffalo Bill’s House is the most unique getaway to celebrate Valentine’s Day,” owner Chris Rowan told the Union Progress. “Whether you come with your significant other or make it a girls getaway ‘Galantine’s,’ our charming Victorian home built in 1910 has something for everyone — including lotion to rub on the skin of your partner.
“And don’t forget to get into our brand-new interactive well film set for killer sexy photo ops!”
The Valentine’s Day package includes:
• One complimentary bottle of champagne, nonalcoholic sparkling cider or a nice Chianti (red or white).
• An assortment of chocolates from locally based Gene and Boots Candies.
• A mix of gifts and souvenirs, including travel-sized Buffalo Bill’s House Skin Suit Soft lotions, lip balms, tote bags, magnets and bumper stickers.
• Rose petals arranged in the shape of a heart on the bed of the Buffalo Bill’s Suite master bedroom.
• Additional add-ons such as custom baked goods upon request.
Anyone interested in booking this unique opportunity or any other 2023 Buffalo Bill’s offering can do so via buffalobillshouse.com.
Frankly, if you take Buffalo Bill’s House up on its Valentine’s Day offer and you don’t choose the Chianti, you’re kind of doing it wrong.